Let’s invert climate change by growing food. Thanks to Moringa and a revolutionary approach
Mazao developed a food system model that holds the potential to reverse climate change while growing food and enhancing the economic well-being of family farmers. The key to this positive feedback loop is Moringa, the dominant tree of the man-made Food Forests. The valuable Moringa powder is sold in international markets through a value chain that goes “beyond fair trade”. This in turn generates a regular revenue to family farmers and the proliferation of Food Forests in a relentless cycle.
Who is Mazao NGO?
Mazao is an international NGO focused on rural development and food security, using the approaches of social business and participatory education to develop actions that generate wellbeing in a long-term perspective. Since 4 years Mazao works with family farmers in Katanga (DR Congo), strengthening local technical capacity and establishing agro-ecological value chains, www.mazao.cd
The Food Forest Program offers a concrete solution to climate change and food insecurity:
- Through the use of Agro-ecology and Carbon Farming we can absorb tons of C02 while at the same time regenerate soils and increase biodiversity.
- The variety of foods grown in the mini-food-forests ensure a diversified diet and a regular revenue to family farmers that look after the forests
- Among the plants that grow in the Food Forests there is the Moringa Oleifera, called Tree of Miracles for its highly nutritious properties.
- The leaves of Moringa are purchased from family farmers and processed into high-quality Moringa powder. The final product is sold in international markets (Europe and Asia), through a highly sustainable trade model called “Part-Ecology”.
- Mazao developed an ethical and sustainable brand called FOOD FOREST and its first product called JustMoringa.
BUSINESS MODEL “FOOD FOREST & PART-ECOLOGY”
About Project Creator:
Luca grew up in Congo. Graduated in Business Management at the University of Queen Mary (London) with a thesis in Pedagogy and Art.
After successfully establishing the first “Organic and Vegan Japanese restaurant in Europe”, he went back to Congo to found the NGO Mazao. In 2012 he launched the first Social Food Supply Chain in the world, an integrated and holistic food system to bridge the gap between smallholder’s farmers and consumers. Agro-ecology, Social Business & Participatory learning
For more information, please visit FOOD FOREST Revolution Indiegogo page: