A photo book exploring the discovery of the Bosnian Pyramids
‘The Pyramid Hills’ explores the archeological phenomenon of the Bosnian Pyramids and other discoveries in Bosnia-and-Herzegovina (like the recently discovered stoneball which was broadcasted worldwide)
- Bosnian Valley of the Pyramids represents the biggest complex of pyramidal structures in the World. It consists of Bosnian Pyramid of the Sun (with its height of over 220 meters is bigger than Cheops Pyramid), Bosnian Pyramid of the Moon (190 meters), Pyramid of Bosnian Dragon (90 meters), Temple of Mother Earth and Pyramid of Love.
- Anthropologist Dr.sci. Semir Osmanagic established a hypothesis about the pyramids and underground tunnels existence in April 2005 and started investigation. The Bosnian Valley of the Pyramids has become a most active archaeological site in the world and attracts tens of thousands of tourists every year in Visoko, Bosnia-Herzegovina. (piramidasunca.ba)
The book will document a series of photographs of artifacts and the social-touristic experience around the different archeological sites I have visited during my stay in the country.
Being aware of my lack of any scientific competence to confirm the existance of the pyramids, I believe the relevance of the subject in a post-war Bosnia-and-Herzegovina which currently lacks any good governance (from within and from outside the country) to transcend the former problems that are still on the surface today.
Therefore as a maker, I use the photographic medium as a manipulative tool to persuade the viewer to believe in this story, by being aware of both the romantic, mythical and rhetoric possibilities of imagery in the construction of a story.
The book wants to function as a proposed catalogue for a requested exhibition in the National Museum of Bosnia-and Herzegovina. The goal is to organize an exhibition and bring artifacts and photographs into the pre-historic wing of the National Museum that is currently closed for public, due to a lack of fundings to repair the roof that has been damaged during the Bosnian war in the nineties.
I’m currently working on a dummy of the book with the graphic designer Jurgen Maelfeyt (www.jurgenmaelfeyt.be)
- Approx. 150 pages (or more), 20x27cm
- The books acquired via Ulule will be a signed and numbered limited edition of 150 copies.
- The design process will be shared with the funders on the news-page of this platform.
- The book will be published by Art Paper Editions
About Project Creator:
The Relevant Heritage Foundation is founded by Thomas Nolf and explores the legitimacy of heritage in relation to specific political and economical contexts. By bridging photography,sculpture and other media with actions he uses controversial historical materiality to make a symbolic statement that goes beyond the controversy it focusses on.
2006-2009: Social Policy, Arteveldehogeschool Ghent
2009-2011: Moral Sciences, University,Ghent
2013-2016: Visual Arts: Photography, Royal Academy of Fina Arts, Ghent
Recyclart, Art Center, Brussels
Next Generation Please, Centre for Fine Arts, Brussels
Made by, School of Arts Ghent
Imagine Europe, BOZAR, Centre for Fine Arts, Brussels
Link to the Project: